Thursday, August 2, 2012

Update on Dugout Dick

When I first saw the destruction at the site of Dick Zimmerman's dugouts, after the rage had burned off, my instinct was to figure out a way to reconstruct one of them for posterity.

That, of course, is a Tolkienesque fantasy, so I'm settling for working with the BLM to create the best interpretive site possible. They've just sent me the drafts for two panels intended to be erected at the site, near where Dick's former cabin remains more or less intact. They're not bad, I have to say.

I hope they will agree to do a third. My intention is to take replicas of all three with me to Boise next month to solicit help from the state and a handful of non-profits to improve the site further, including clear signage from the highway. Anyway, it's a start.



No comments:

Post a Comment